Stabilize‎ > ‎Safety‎ > ‎

Drug Activity

Dealing with Drug Activity where you live...
What are your ideas?  write them to
responses will be kept confidential

The issue is always:  Keep yourself safe while focusing attention on the problem of drugs in your community.

Patti writes: 
There are 5 subsidized apartment complexes for families in my community.  I have received multiple calls from families living in every one of these complexes who NEED to move because the drug activity is so bad there.  Mother's who won't let their children go outside and play.  Reports of needles in the yards.  These families are afraid to live there but can't afford not to.

RN writes:
Our building used to be pretty bad, with addicts and people coming in and out, to buy and sell. The tenants formed a security team, to keep the side doors closed at night, confronted people going in and out those doors. Management was supposedly on board, but proved not to be. Tenants can sign petitions to make management evict known dealers in the building, known tenants who threaten the safety of others. Send a copy to Fair Housing, HUD the police and sheriff. Its a start, but the fight will take time. Getting in dealers business, could be dangerous, but it could also make them move on to quieter places....

Keeping your report anonymous
1.  Use a cutout.  Asking a RHINO partner agency to make your report can make you anonymous. 
2.  use caution in providing telephone or email reports because phone numbers and email addresses may be public records that can be obtained by bad guys.  Maybe avoid using your personal phone or email account when making anonymous complaints to a government agency. 
Sherry on Slumlords of Columbus comments "So, don't be stupid like I did ... hand out business cards with email address (using my full name) and then use that same address for reporting narcotics, trash, etc., etc.!"

Remember that anonymous reports carry less weight than formal reports from credible witnesses (not hearsay).

What about when your manager is involved? 

COHHIO got a call that a property manager was seeking information about what kinds of prescription drugs tenants had in their apartments.  MANAGERS DON'T NEED THIS INFO...except for the wrong reasons.

Drug Dealer Downstairs
Here's an article on the same topic in

What are your ideas and experiences?  Whatever we learn, we share!

send an email to
or call 888-485-7999


 In HUD assisted housing in Ohio

1.  Give written complaint to management.  If afraid, see #3 and #4.
2.  If tenants aren't afraid to use their names, they could file complaints with HUD or Assisted Housing about the problem. Assisted Housing is at 1-877-506-3552
3.  If tenants are unwilling to use their own names, your local RHINO partner agency should be willing to share anonymous info with HUD or other intermediaries...with the understanding that it is much harder to get action on anonymous complaints. Find RHINO Partners at: or call 888-485-7999.
4.  Complain to HUD Inspector General hot line where tenants can file anonymous reports.  We don't know how effective this is...could be worth a try.
5.  In the case of criminal activity, file a complaint with local law enforcement.

In USDA, Tax Credit or Public Housing
1. Contact your local RHINO partner agency to find out "next steps"
2. Complain to RD Inspector Generalhot line
3.  DO NOT CONTACT YOUR LOCAL USDA OFFICE.  Information provided to USDA directly is not secure and USDA officials may not be reliable investigators.

If it is not Federally assisted Housing...
1.  there's a provision in the Ohio Landlord Tenant Law that makes a landlord OBLIGATED TO EVICT a tenant when notified by a law enforcement officer of a drug violation in connection with a property. 
(9) Promptly commence an action under Chapter 1923. of the Revised Code, after complying with division (C) of section 5321.17 of the Revised Code, to remove a tenant from particular residential premises, if the tenant fails to vacate the premises within three days after the giving of the notice required by that division and if the landlord has actual knowledge of or has reasonable cause to believe that the tenant, any person in the tenant’s household, or any person on the premises with the consent of the tenant previously has or presently is engaged in a violation as described in division (A)(6)(a)(i) of section 1923.02 of the Revised Code, whether or not the tenant or other person has been charged with, has pleaded guilty to or been convicted of, or has been determined to be a delinquent child for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a violation as described in that division. Such actual knowledge or reasonable cause to believe shall be determined in accordance with that division.
Working with local law enforcement to get them to issue notices to landlords could be the way to force management to act.  As long as managers can go home to another community at the end of the day, they often can ignore the problem.  When law enforcement says: "This is your obligation" it can help management focus their attention on the drug issues at the property.

2.  Local officials can also use the Ohio Nuisance statute to threaten owners who are failing to act when they have been made aware of drug activity.